How do you beat that? Well, I don’t think you do.
The hike was two parts. We hiked through the jungle, going across little streams and climbing over all sorts of tree roots. I once stepped off the path I realized why the guide wears gum boots – the leaves and debris are so thick that snakes could be anywhere. They were also useful to keep your feet dry but I imagine they are the best protection against a snake bite, good thing we let him lead the way. This first hike led out to the beach where we followed the beach back to the start.
The second hike was along a river, deeper into the jungle with the destination being a pretty waterfall that we could swim near. We saw crocodiles along the river multiple times so I think many of us were questioning Tony as to whether this made a whole lot of sense. We ended up swimming downstream from a little guy who was clearly no threat. I don’t think we would even register on his radar as food.
The hike finished with us back at the ranger station by the beach enjoying lunch in the sun near the surf.
Termites - they really are very tiny
Our guide Tony
Huge roots
For huge trees
These trees have large bulbous roots and are related to ginger.
Bats
Macaw
These frogs were a special encounter. They normally live high in the trees and you don't see them. However, they come down close to the ground to mate just three times a year.
Red Eyed Tree Frog
The eggs they lay
Ibis/Heron
Howler
Swimming with the crocs
Another three toed sloth
Coati
No comments:
Post a Comment