Monday, February 11, 2013

Mendoza Bound

 

First Day in Mendoza

We had an enjoyable flight time of 1:45pm so we didn’t have to get up early. We had a leisurely morning and met up with Ashley, twice, because he came an hour too early the first time, and gave him the keys to the house. From there we took the car to the airport and happened to run into the two friends we had made on the rafting trip. They were a nice couple from Chicago. We sat and talked while we waited not only for our flight but for the fellow from the car company to show up so we could hand back the car rental. He didn’t, we had to call.  Someone eventually showed up and we handed them the keys and the cash. I wasn’t sure what to do if they didn’t show up. We hadn’t yet paid them but they had our visa number. Anyway, we made it here to Mendoza, checked into our room and wandered around the town center.  We managed to sit and have a couple of beers in the lovely pedestrian only area and then wander our way to a restaurant I had read about called Siete Cocinas – Seven Kitchens. Somehow we found the place and were able to get the last available table – we didn’t have a reservation. The chef came out to the table and asked us about the meal and our trip. Brooke mentioned to the chef that she was sad there was no ceviche left and so the chef went into the kitchen and had a special plate made from a different fish just for us. It was excellent. We had an excellent wine recommended by one of the many waiters (everyone sees to everyone, you don’t really have a specific server). I ordered a steak and it was ridiculous. I’ve been trying, in general, to eat less red meat but this broke every effort. It was 30oz including the bone, a true Fred Flintstone steak - and it was cooked to perfection. I had no idea when I ordered it that it was going to be that big.

 

aconcagua 1
I love getting off a plane this way!!!!!



aconcagua 3
”I get ice cream”



aconcagua 4
”I get beer”



aconcagua 5
970 cm3  - I find it interesting they don’t use millilitres here.


aconcagua 6
We went to Siete Cocinas and the wine menu was on
an ipad. It was really awkard to use.



aconcagua 7
Somehow we ended up with this wine. It was good.



aconcagua 8
These are the regions this restaurant cooks.



aconcagua 9
Our special plate of ceviche.



aconcagua 10
Breakfast in the morning, delivered to the room. Love that!



aconcagua 11
Dare you to eat this!



aconcagua 12
The central park in Mendoza. we don’t have many pictures of it. Just didn’t really remember to take them.

No comments: