Thursday, February 7, 2013

Beach Bums


We have spent just about every night here with a bottle of wine at dinner and a bottle of wine to finish the evening. It’s so much fun! We get to enjoy each other and sip away. $5 for a bottle in the grocer is going to get you a decent bottle, $10 will get you a great bottle. We sleep in most mornings and enjoy ourselves. So today was no exception. We strolled down to breakfast and even went down to the beach to kill a bit of time. However, we still had two hours to kill after checking out before meeting the property manager at the house so we decided to drive up the island for a bit. We needed to kill some time and we needed groceries. The grocery store in town was a bear to park at and not much fun to shop in so we went to a bigger grocer up the lakeside and casually got the things we needed.

Bariloche 073
The lakeside just in front of our hotel.


After meeting the property manager, Ashley, from the UK, we decided that a beach day was the thing to do. We thought we would visit the beach where the two lakes meet. It was already a bit late in the day, we arrived there around 4, got a great little parking spot and threw down our towels on the beach. There were people in the water, especially kids, so I thought I would go in and tried my best to get Brooke to come in. She did, with her toes. Actually, it was a bit more, like the tops of her feet. I fully swam in the very cold water but luckily it was a very hot day! The water in the channel is only 3 feet deep at the most so I thought it would be warm - it wasn’t . The channel has a slow but steady flow from one lake to the other. You couldn’t feel it standing but as soon as you swam you could barely move forward. It would be a fantastic place to train at swimming, never having to turn around and never having to get into deep water. The temperature was fantastic as a place to do a hard swim – you would never get too hot. Normally, you could swim about 25m in 30s, here I think it would take you about 5 minutes. It’s almost a perfectly balanced flow. It was great for the kids to play in. They could bob along slowly and play in the shallow bits, never being in a dangerous spot. After swimming we lied in the sun and again enjoyed some of our hot, southern hemisphere sun.

Bariloche 072




Bariloche 071
Beach shoes would have been great here as it was more gravel than sand.


Bariloche 070
It was a pretty neat spot.



Bariloche 067
Cory is swimming! I just kept my sunglasses on because it was so bright out.


Bariloche 068




Bariloche 064
What a cute little beer place. They specially brought in artisanal beers with all sorts of neat flavours.



Bariloche 065
I’m just posing for a laugh – no guzzling this nice beer!



Bariloche 066
Ice cold glasses make beer so nice…….

Bariloche 063
I got beer, Brooke got ice cream. I see a trend developing. BTW, there’s an ice cream store on every corner in Bariloche and every other corner everywhere else in Argentina.

Bariloche 062
I’m doing a bit of blog work here. Having a copa de vino.



Bariloche 061
Brooke is making us some dinner!

No comments: