Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cotopaxi – the highest active volcano in the world

Measuring things is an exercise in futility. We all know Everest is the highest point on the earth right? Maybe. If you are looking for the point furthest from the center of the earth, the most logical point of reference, you’d find yourself at the volcano in Ecuador named Chimborazo.

A close second in Ecuador is Cotopaxi. It is among the highest points on the earth as well as being the highest active volcano relative to sea level.

 

cotopaxi internet pic

 

Facts, facts, facts. It’s a beautiful volcano and captures the spirit of Ecuador. I think, more than anything else in Ecuador, Cotopaxi is the heart.

People say that the indigenous name, Cotopaxi, means the neck of the god. It is a perfect strata volcano that has that oh so beautiful symmetry. 

Our guide Guilermo took us for what was a wonderful day, restoring our love for South America and all its wonders. Ecuador is truly full of just about everything. Enjoy as much or as little as you want. I guarantee once you start looking, you’ll find amazing things.

 

P1000345
Everyone here has furry dashboards.

GPS route Cotopaxi
This was the GPS route we took.

P1000354

 

CB1_3098

 

P1000362

 

P1000370

 

P1000376

 

CB1_3131

 

CB1_3135

 

CB1_3167

 

CB1_3188

 

CB1_3220

 

CB1_3222

 

CB1_3239

 

CB1_3264

 

CB1_3281

 


P1000391

 

P1000394
I thought I left Canada and the winter behind!

 

P1000399
Wet and wild. Working our way up the slope to the hut.

 

P1000401
Brooke with our Guide Guilermo

 

P1000404
We got to the lodge – wet and cold we went in for a hot chocolate.

CB1_3336
The Skies cleared just as we were leaving the refuge. It made for a nice walk down.

 

CB1_3347

 

CB1_3358

 

CB1_3368

 

CB1_3383

 

CB1_3405

 

CB1_3454

 

CB1_3461

 

P1000413
At the end of the day we had a nice meal and as always….mmmm Beer.

 

P1000417
Giant carrots being washed by the roadside. Anything goes I guess.

No comments: